Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 2014 22:15:25 +0000
From:      RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: where to find FreeBSD torrent file

On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 17:14:50 -0000
g8kbvdave@googlemail.com wrote:

> > I can't see how anyone would think that having people get FreeBSD
> > from random unofficial untrusted non-FreeBSD.org places online is
> > at all a good idea. FreeBSD needs to bring back a basic torrent
> > tracker that recognizes the last set of official torrents issued by
> > FreeBSD plus new torrents for the subsequent releases.
> >

> What's the exact issue?
>
> Torrents are a pain, slow, unreliable

They do have the advantage of being at their fastest when there is most
demand and ordinary servers have the heaviest load. It's possible to
include links to download mirrors within a torrent which can be used to
avoid the torrent becoming slow or unreliable when demand falls.

> it's not impossible for you
> to get seeded with other stuff you don't want.
> ..
> Leave Torrents for the kiddies who like to rip off other peoples
> music, and other copyrighted material, while also sharing viruses etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by "seeded with", but the contents of
a torrent is protected by hashes. A torrent is as safe as the source
of the torrent - that's why they want to get them from the FreeBSD site.