Date:      Tue, 14 May 2002 15:18:34 -0500
From:      "Nick Lozinsky" <nl3481@wi.rr.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Nelis Lamprecht" <nelis@brabys.co.za>
Subject:   Re: Dual Booting FreeBSD and Windows XP Pro

---- Original Message -----
From: "Nelis Lamprecht" <nelis@brabys.co.za>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 2:43 AM
Subject: Dual Booting FreeBSD and Windows XP Pro

> Hi
>
> I want setup my new machine to dual boot between Windows XP Pro and
FreeBSD
> and I thought I would just check with the list for any tips. Unfortunately
> I have to support Winbloze Lusers so I don't have much choice. Do I
install
> WinXP first and then FreeBSD or vice versa ? Do I use the FreeBSD Boot
> Manager or should I just use the WinXP Boot Manager and alter the boot.ini
> file to include a FreeBSD bootup ?
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Nelis

Hi,

Install WinXP first, then BSD. You can use whichever bootloader you want,
but the FreeBSD loader will give you stuff like this:

F1 - ???
F3 - FreeBSD

In order to get rid of the ??? you have to, I believe, recompile the
assembly file, boot.0? and substitute for the ???, but you can also use the
XP boot loder, similar to the WinN/2000 boot loader. You are right, the
boot.ini will have to be configured to know where to load the FreeBSD .pbr
file that you create in BSD using the dd binary. Any more questions? Let me
know.

Nick