Date:      Fri, 05 Sep 2003 14:19:50 -0700
From:      James Leone <jleone@pacbell.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Possible errors in FreeBSD 5.1

I have come accross a few possible bugs or errors while using FreeBSD
5.1-Current. I wrote them down and thought I would at least pass on the
information per chance it would help someone, etc. I know that some of
the errors could just be me, etc.

FreeBSD 5.1-Current Possible bugs:

1. When I installed FreeBSD on my machine at work, I had 10 GB of 80 GB
available for it on a partitioned hard disk. I set up FreeBSD to only
have two slices in the partition, one for swap, which was 300 MB, and
the remaining 9700 MB was allocated for the / slice. However, when I was
in FreeBSD's Fdisk utility, I could not set up a slice larger than 9499
MB, or else the creation of the slices would fail, and so would the
installation.

2. While I am in KDE in FreeBSD, but not in KDE in Linux, if I click on
the Floppy Device icon before the floppy is inserted, I will not be able
to access a subsequently inserted floppy disk. When I do, I get an error
that says: "the device is not configured."

3. When I went to /boot/kernel and typed kldload pcm, it appeared to
load up fine, no warning messages, etc. However, when I boot into KDE,
KDE will not have any sound. However, if I compile PCM into the kernel
and reboot, KDE's sound works just fine.

4. The Real Player port does not use FreeBSD's sound system, even though
sound is working in KDE.  I have found a few proposed solutions,
including one from the Real One Player forum, but none work. The error
message says device not found.

5. When configured with the tools available to sysinstall, and
additionally when X -configure is run, the XF86Config file does not
include the modes lines that I get in SuSE Linux 8.2. I ended up copying
over and slightly modifying SuSE's XF86Config file for better screeen
resolution.

6. Ymessenger, as installed through the ports, seems to be broken. It
will install, but when its run, it says:
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1
/usr/local/lib/libglib12.so.3: Unidentified symbol "getpwuid_r"

7. Konqueror file permission weirdness

I can access all of my FAT32 formatted partitions or disks, but when I
use Konqueror to enter the directories within the mount point by
clicking on them, I get an error that reads:

"You do not have enough permissions to read file:/storage/documents"

However, if I merely right click and select open in new window, it opens
without a problem, and no error is shown.

I do not have this problem in SuSE Linux 8.2.

James Leone