Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2012 11:06:35 +0200 (CEST)
From:      vermaden <vermaden@interia.pl>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HOWTO: FreeBSD ZFS Madness (Boot Environments)

> Hi,
>=20
> do you know manageBE? Google for it, it is the first
> hit. This works for me like a charm since about a year.
>=20
> Bye,
> Alexander.

Hi,

yes I know and used manageBE for a while, I even mentioned it
in the HOWTO (quote below) but thought that making *beadm*
that is compatible with Illumos/Solaris version would be nice
idea, *beadm* is also more comfortable to use, at least for me.

Mine *beadm* has also a feature to activate BE's from other
machines.
=20
> Illumos/Solaris has the beadm(1M) [4] utility and while
> Philipp Wuensche wrote the manageBE script as
> replacement [5], it uses older style used at times when
> OpenSolaris (and SUN) were still having a great time.
> I last couple of days writing an up-to-date replacement for
> FreeBSD compatible beadm utility, and with some tweaks
> from today I just made it available at SourceForge [6] if You
> wish to test it. Currently its about 200 lines long, so it should
> be pretty simple to take a look at it. I tried to make it as
> compatible as possible with the 'upstream' version, along
> with some small improvements, it currently supports basic
> functions like list, create, destroy and activate.

(...)

> There are several subtle differences between mine
> implementation and Philipp's one, he defines and then relies
> upon ZFS property called freebsd:boot-environment=3D1 for
> each boot environment, I do not set any other additional
> ZFS properties. There is already org.freebsd:swap property
> used for SWAP on FreeBSD, so we may use org.freebsd:be in
> the future, but is just a thought, right now its not used. My
> version also supports activating boot environments received
> with zfs recv command from other systems (it just updates
> appreciate /boot/zfs/zpool.cache file).

Regards,
vermaden