Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 1999 15:10:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/12372: man page HISTORY for strdup is wrong

The following reply was made to PR docs/12372; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
To: Mike Pritchard <mpp@mpp.pro-ns.net>
Cc: sheldonh@FreeBSD.ORG, mika@cs.caltech.edu,
	freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 18:09:46 -0400

 [Cc'd to -bugs instead of -doc]
 [Re: correct HISTORY of strdup(3)]

 On Thu, Jun 24, 1999 at 12:28:58PM -0500, Mike Pritchard wrote:

 > states that strdup first appeared in 4.4BSD.  It's been so long
 > since I used a 4.2 system, I can't remember if it had strdup or
 > not.  Either way, it looks like the HISTORY really is incorrect.

 Yes, although I think it was listed as "under development" in 43.

             http://www.neosoft.com/neosoft/man/strdup.3.html
             http://src.doc.ic.ac.uk/computing/systems/unix/4.3bsd-net2/lib/libc/string/strdup.3.Z

 The first reference is a copy of some strdup manpage, I think from
 Linux.  It states that its strdup(3) function is conformant to SVID3
 and BSD43.  The 2nd and 3rd links are references to a BSD/386 manpage
 for strdup and to a manpage that appears to be the 43/net2 strdup manpage.
 Both the 2nd and 3rd links list strdup(3) as "Under development".

 If Mika (aka. the PR submitter, but Mika is such a cool-sounding name
 that I needed an excuse to say it twice) is right and it's not in
 4.3-Tahoe, then it probably appeared in SVr3 and was quickly copied
 into 43-Reno (or Net/1).  It's rather curious that it appears
 in SunOS 4.1.1 but not 43BSD, though...

 A link to a strdup(3) manpage dated Oct. 6, 1987,
 http://wwwwbs.cs.tu-berlin.de/cgi/rtfm/usr/local/man/man3/string.3

 Hmm...  Here's another one...  This HPUX man seems to state that
 strdup appeared in SVr2...
 http://www.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de/doc/man/hpux/strxfrm.3c.html

 Anyways, I'm inclined to place it in SVr2.

 --
 This is my .signature which gets appended to the end of my messages.