Date:      Sat, 16 Feb 2002 22:01:44 +0300
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, i18n@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: iconv port: plea for take-over

On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 11:19:10 -0500, Will Andrews wrote:
> I think this procedure will break things that are already
> installed using -lgiconv.  For at least some time after the
> conversion is made, you guys all should additionally install a
> symlink from libgiconv to libiconv.

Symlinks not helps, not the library and includes, but all function renamed
with "g" prefix and unrenamed back with #defines

> Unfortunately, you won't be
> able to prevent breakage with the libiconv port, unless of course
> the API is exactly the same (I'm not sure exactly how the ABI
> might factor in here).  Your message didn't make that clear.

API is exactly the same, standard.

> Also, I think marking the iconv port as 'broken' is a little
> premature.  Some people may actually need something in it.  If
> you are going to mark it broken, might as well remove it...  :)

Well, if they are, they can take maintainership, use URL posted by
Konstantin, do proper renaming etc. _after_ BROKEN= state issued.

> Please regard my comments as an outsider's point of view; I do
> not fully understand iconv or appreciate its purpose, since I
> have never used any locale besides "C" or "en_US".  :)

Even in this case you may have dead loop reading foreign message with tin
linked with old iconv f.e.

> via the i18n list.  I know that Japanese people have particularly
> resented changes made towards Russian-centric improvements in the

GNU is Russian-centric? Interesting.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
http://ache.pp.ru/