Date:      Wed, 4 Jan 95 10:11:44 EST
From:      fcawth@squid.umd.edu (Fred Cawthorne)
To:        smui@sparta.sjsu.edu (Sherman F Mui)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ft problems

> Hi again,
>
> I thought I had everything working with my new tape drive. =) I was dead
> wrong. I get this  error when the tape runs out of tape,
>
> ft0: unrecoverable write error on block 3200
>
> I'm probably not doing something right here. I have a 200 meg tape. I
> tried 'dump usfd 400 - 43690 /dev/sd0a | ft' then 'dump ufd - /dev/sd0a |
> ft'. And my root partition is ~15mb.

BTW, what's a 200 meg tape?? Is it a long dc2120 or something???
remember that alot of these people like to quote compressed capacities
for their tape drives.  A normal "250" meg drive is really 120 meg,
etc...

Ok...  the ft driver does automatic volume switching...  You don't need
to tell dump anything about the length of the tape, etc...
(This is a good thing, since when doing compressed backups, you can't
know how much will fit on the tape and you must otherwise guess...)
ft will prompt you to put in a new tape when the end is reached.
(It opens /dev/tty to interact with you, so the pipe won't get messed up
even)

> So I think maybe it's dump. I tried 'tar zvcf - /usr/local | ft
> "/usr/local save"', which is ~77 mb.

I have successfully used dump and restore with a colorado "250" meg tape
drive, both compressed and uncompressed.
> (side note: I can't get tar's -X option to work right, it just refuses to
> exclude a directory I specify)

Hmmm.  Don't know about this one, I always use dump since I like the
interactive mode (:
> Now what's wrong? Oh, and ft is going nuts and refuses to die. I have to
> reboot to make it stop winding  and re-winding my stupid tape...

Yeah... There was something in the source about this bug being fixed, but
somehow I don't think so...
I have seen this when I tried to use a bad tape.  Try another one.
(I even reformatted it successfully, but it still didn't work right)
I just tried a new preformatted tape and it worked fine...

Good luck...

Fred.