Date:      Sun, 18 Mar 2001 21:38:52 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Richard Shea" <rshea@thecubagroup.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Firewall + Mail Server on same machine - is that OK ?

Richard Shea <rshea@thecubagroup.com> types:
> Hi - I've currently got a FreeBSD box which I use as a firewall
> machine (using IPFW) and to do NATD.
>
> I'm thinking of setting up a mail server and I would certainly want to
> do this under FreeBSD but I feel like I've heard that having, for
> instance, a mailserver on the same machine as the firewall is not a
> good idea.
> Could anyone comment on this ?

I've said it, so...

> It seems to me that if someone was able to get through the firewall
> in the first place putting the mailserver on another machine
> wouldn't necessarily help all that much ?

That depends on what you're trying to protect. If you're running an
external mail server, then the firewall has to allow access to the
SMTP port on the mail server, no matter what. So having the firewall
on another machine probably won't help the mail server from attacks on
the SMTP server. However, someone attacking the firewall now has
another place to attack - breaking into the mail server gets them
access to the firewall.

> Am I missing something here ? I'd be interested in peoples
> comments.

The attack on the firewall, maybe?

Whether you can combine boxes without harm depends on the rest of your
network security setup, and how much you value things. If, as far as
you're concerned, there's no difference between breaking into the
firewall and breaking into the mail server, *and* the two have the
same access to the rest of the network, then there's no harm in
combining them. The former is a policy decision, but the latter sounds
like poor security - why does mail need to be able to move between the
firewall box and the internal network?

	<mike