Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 08:25:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Connect speed on FreeBSD.

Quintin Oliver recently said:

> Greetings!
>
> We run a local ISP powered by FreeBSD 2.2.8 and 3.0, our users
> connect to FreeBSD on 2.2.8 on modem dial. The modems are Modular
> Technologies V.90 compliant, however, many of our users have
> reported that they can only connect at about 31k to 35k a second,
> that is there actuall connect speed NOT BANDWIDTH from the net.
> I've checked our configuation over and over again, we are using
> Mgetty and we are asking it to connect the users at 57600??

> Does anyone have any ideas on fixing this and/or running
> diagnostics on the modems and hardware themselfs?

You don't understand how 56K connections work.  Two 56K modems
talking to one another, will only conncect at the 33.3K rate.

That is because of the line encoding.   Going back to "Shannon's
Law" a classic on information transmission, the theoretical limit
on analog lines is only about 35-36K.

56K is possible to RECEIVE with an add-on modem >>IF<< the
transmitting side has a device that is connected digitally to the
phone company, and that will mean a PRI connection to your device.

On the ISP's side, the signal will leave the device that is
attached to the PRI (something along the lines of a Max Ascend or
similar) and will remain in a digital format until it reaches the
customer modem.

This is also the reason you can't uplink to a 56K compliant site.
The process of convernting the computers digital signal to an
analog signal by the modem (mod stands for modulate where the
digital signal is converted to analog form), and the has to be
reconverted at the target.

You'll really need a device that connects with a PRI, and install a
PRI.  Locally PRIs are in the high hundreds $800+ month.  One line
will get you 23 modems and a control channel, or 11 128k ISDN lines, or
any combination.

I'm not familiar with the Modular Technologies devices - but you
did say "modem".   If, OTOH, you do have a digital connection and
you are not seeing anything fast, there are certain places where
telcos cluster phones, and then connect these mini-clusers back to
the main CO.  In those instances the maximum you can ever expect is
33K as there are addtioinal DA and AD conversions in the line.
56K can only have ONE DA in the line.