Date:      Sun, 13 Apr 2003 14:26:42 -0400
From:      Jud <judmarc@fastmail.fm>
To:        Shantanu Mahajan <shantanoo@ieee.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dual Booting XP Home and FreeBSD 4.7 Release

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 23:38:55 +0530, Shantanu Mahajan <shantanoo@ieee.org>
wrote:

> +++ Lucas Holt [freebsd] [10-04-03 22:24 -0400]:
> | Thanks for all your comments.  I have FreeBSD 4.7 installed now with |
> the boot manager.  Its working great!
>
> 	also you can try http://www.xosl.org

There's also Grub in the FreeBSD ports.

I'm currently using BootItNG because it groks RAID easily (which Grub
currently doesn't AFAIK, necessitating workarounds like boot partitions on
non-RAID drives) and is nicely automagic about setting up boot entries.
But it's not free (as in beer or speech), and it doesn't work as easily
with Linux as I'd like.  BootEasy works but it ain't pretty; the NT
bootloader just feels like a bit of a hassle to set up with bootable
partitions on multiple disks.

Which brings me to a question:  How's XOSL with RAID, if anyone has
experience in that regard?  I'd want to boot Win98 (FAT32) and Linux (ext3)
from one hard drive and FreeBSD (UFS1) and Win2K (NTFS) from a RAID-0 array
(controller is a Promise 20276 onboard chip).

Jud