Date:      Tue, 20 Dec 2011 11:31:35 -0600
From:      Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        linimon@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   some ports documentation updates on the wiki

In the last week I've been working on updating some of the ports
documentation on the wiki that had become stale.  If you're looking
for something new to work on, these may be of interest.

  http://wiki.freebsd.org/Trybroken

We have the ability to tell the build cluster "go ahead and try to
build ports even though their metadata claims BROKEN".  Here are the
results of the first run in quite a while.  People who are using these
ports might want to test them out to see if the BROKEN tag can now be
removed.

  http://wiki.freebsd.org/PortsBrokenOnTier2Architectures

I've notified sparc64@ and powerpc@ about the updates to this article,
which mostly has to do with the most port breakages (e.g. affects kde
or gnome).  If you're running one of these architectures, you might
wish to take a look.

  http://wiki.freebsd.org/PortsFailingOnPointyhat

These are the ports failing on the main package building cluster.
Mostly this was just a removal of stale information as an FYI.  There
are still some things to be added.

  http://wiki.freebsd.org/PortsFailingOnPointyhatWest

pointyhat-west is the newest package building cluster head node,
which was purchased by the FreeBSD Foundation to be a replacement
for the current, obsolete, machine.  When I set up pointyhat-west
I went through and generalized the codebase and fixed many bugs.
However, there are still ports that do not build there although
they build on pointyhat.  Right now, devel/omake is the main culprit.
If anyone is interested in looking at this, please contact me offline.

  http://wiki.freebsd.org/PortsAndClang

I've mentioned this in separate posts, but I'll include it here for
completeness.

  http://wiki.freebsd.org/WhenDidThatPortBreak

This documents the detective work that you need to do to figure out
when a port broke, and when it last built.  Mostly what this article
needed was updated links to reflect the latest supported ports tree
branches.  Unlike the above, it is more usefaul as a how-to rather than
as a tasklist.

Thanks.

mcl