Date:      Fri, 11 May 2001 00:28:39 -0400
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Diego_A._Puertas_Fern=E1ndez?= <dapf@runbox.com>
To:        "John" <ths69@home.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Virus Protection software for FreeBSD 4.3

The best virus protection practice you can do on UNIX systems is doing most
of your work as a simple user (say jhon@yoursistem.yourdomain) not as root.

I'm not an expert, but as I understand it, the only kind of virus you can
get on UNIX are the Trojans, and if you by accident run a Trojan as jhon,
then the Trojan has the same privileges than jhon, and just like jhon can't
harm any of the vital files of the system, neither can the trojan. But, if
you run the trojan as root, then the trojan can harm your system very badly.

So, when you are root, only run programs downloaded from trusted sites, if
you follow this advise there is no need for antivirus.

I don't know if there is any company that makes antivirus for UNIX (???), I
don't think there is any.