Date:      Mon, 15 May 2017 10:51:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jeffrey Bouquet" <jbtakk@iherebuywisely.com>
To:        "Tomoaki AOKI" <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp>
Cc:        "freebsd-current" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-ports" <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [RFC] rename nvidia-driver port binaries  [ and other comments]

On Mon, 15 May 2017 23:53:10 +0900, Tomoaki AOKI <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp=
> wrote:

> Hi.
> If including its version to nvidia.ko and nvidia-modeset.ko,
> [hard / symbolic] link to it with current name should be needed
> not to bother admins every time upgrading.
>=20
> BTW, I personally using below in rc.conf for safety.
> This only helps situations that...
>=20
>  *Insufficient loader memory, but OK after kernel is started.
>=20
>  *Accidentally backed to older version that doesn't have
>   nvidia-modeset.ko and only nvidia-modeset.ko is written in
>   /boot/loader.conf.
>=20
> ## Temporary settings for nvidia-driver when failed loading via loader.co=
nf
> kldstat -q -n nvidia.ko
> if [ 0 -ne $? ] ; then
>   echo "Loading nvidia-driver modules via rc.conf."
> #  kldload nvidia
>   if [ -e /boot/modules/nvidia-modeset.ko ] ; then
> #    kldload nvidia-modeset
>     kld_list=3D"${kld_list} nvidia-modeset.ko"
>   else
> #    kldload nvidia
>     kld_list=3D"${kld_list} nvidia.ko"
>   fi
> fi
>=20
>=20
> On Mon, 15 May 2017 06:41:33 -0700 (PDT)
> "Jeffrey Bouquet" <jbtakk@iherebuywisely.com> wrote:
>=20
> >  Just had a unique to me, unbootable backup [beside the point,
> > just a sidebar comment... ]  quandry dealing with the nvidia-driver upd=
ate
> > that  mesa-libs needed.  [ or was appurtenant to it, unsure... ]
> >=20
> >   12.0 - CURRENT
> >=20
> >   [ my previous 'saves' -- files to consult...  were in .jpg, so no ava=
il for me to peruse as I was in the terminal ]
> [...]
> > ]=20
> > ... I had a make.conf in place, 'trapping' a
> >     make -DMAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE=3Dyes CC=3D".../clang39"  [and the other tw=
o...] install in failure
> > ... I had no clue if Xorg was at fault, and luckily did not have to reb=
uild.
> > ... I had no access to the forums, as the desktop could not be loaded [=
yet]
> > ... I had to do strings nvidia.ko |grep 26 [39] | less to detect the no=
t usable module numbers,
> >     THUS THE REQ FOR RENAME of the nvidia.ko binary [vs port] to includ=
e its 5 digit number
> >     as above.
> > ... I was taken aback by the less infomative
> >     this client has the .39 but the module has the .26 ...=20
> >     specifically stating which file/port/kernel module the 'client' ref=
ers to
> >    and which specific modules 'this module' was referring to.  Unknown =
if that is
> >    fixable here in a .c, .h , or is closed-source upstream in nvidia [c=
orp ] where we can
> >     ask them to be more specific or code in some more verbose error mes=
sages.
> > ...  Relieved I did not have to rebuild Xorg nor the kernel, just move =
files out of the
> >   way and do a simple rebuild of the nvidia-driver.
> > [... Not relieved that the nvidia-driver needed install during the mesa=
-lib reshuffle,  maybe
> >    did not need to be, just a hazy recollection on my part.  So ignore =
this little bit ]
> >=20
> > ... All in all a learning experience.  Howsoever, I would like this nvi=
dia stuff to be put eventuall
> >  in /usr/src/UPDATING so the half or third of persons who run into this=
 yearly will have a more
> >  authoritative flowchart of sorts to determine the next course of actio=
n.
> >    something like
> >   if ... this thta
> >    if... this that
> >    if ... this that
> >   OTOH... error message... a... you may need to...
> >                error message ... r... you may need to...
> >=20
> >  ... And it would have maybe saved a bit of time here, and I would almo=
st if eventually
> >      possible be sure to copy /usr/src/UPDATING to /usr/ports/x11/nvidi=
a-driver for
> >      more easy access if the desktop was broken....
> >=20
> >=20
> > Apologies for the hurried post. Indeed, I have tasked myself to write i=
t up here
> > locally [ still in scribbled notations...] so I can forestall/fix more =
quickly this
> > error the next time.
> > also...
> > Running late  in other personal matters, and out of time.

I found just then that one can load it manually
first, though the nvidia.ko  [ one has newly built ] THEN
the nvidia-modeset.ko=20=20

if it has not been loaded via /boot/loader.conf which did not load it
in the session in which I am typing this, for example.

[ wondering if /usr/ports/UPDATING or the pkg-message should be=20
updated to state that...  upon a second verification ... ]=20

YMMV=20=