Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2000 19:39:19 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.csd.uu.se>
To:        Scott <gsi22419@gsaix2.cc.GaSoU.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Load Avg was: Dual Processors

On Sat, Apr 22, 2000 at 12:20:24PM -0400, Scott wrote:

> > Hehe, I ran both programs and sure enough they both were using 98% and 99%
> > CPU time. So I take it that little test was successful, as now the load
> > average is 2.2.
> >

> Is there any correct and accurate reference to what a load average means?
> Mine runs as high as 1.8 and it's a single cpu machine.  Whereas on
> a server it runs at 2.2 and it's an 8way machine, and I know it's usually
> running at about 50%.  However that machine runs AIX 4.x

The load is the number of processes that want to run at a given moment.
The load average is just the average of the load over some (short) amount of
time. The three load numbers displayed with uptime or top is the load
average over the last 1, 5 and 15 minutes.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson