Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 2009 21:54:06 -0500
From:      Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Scott Spare <scuppers@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X11 mouse driver and USB mouse disconnection

--=-biwfZJXdl4ZbvGJsPtj9

On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 20:36 -0400, Scott Spare wrote:
> Under FreeBSD 7.1 STABLE and XOrg, it looks like there's trouble with the
> handling of USB mouse disconnections  (e.g. when a KVM switch is used.)
> These problems only occur when Xorg / x11 is running and selected via the
> virtual TTY (i.e. ALT-F9).
>=20
> Expected behavior: the mouse resumes working even if physically
> disconnected.
> Actual behavior:  the mouse stops working if disconnected and reconnected=
.
>=20
> Remedy / Workaround: switch to one of the console-based virtual TTYs, the=
> switch back to the virtual TTY that runs XOrg.
>=20
> Other information:
> -This problem occurs regardless of whether moused is running.
> -This problem was tested with a Logitech Mx518 optical mouse, and XOrg 7_=
3.2
>=20
> -Virtual TTY0 (ALT-F1) displays the following each time the mouse is
> disconnected and reconnected:
> ums0: at ubub 1 port 4 (addr5) disconnected
> ums0: detatched.
>=20
> -Upon reconnection, it displays the following:
> ums0: <Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse, Class 0/0, rev 2.00/22.00, addr5>=
 on
> uhub 1
> ums0: 8 buttons and Z dir
>=20
> How to replicate:
> Presumably, disconnect and reconnect any USB mouse while X11 is running.
> The mouse will stop responding.
> Alternatively: use a Logitech Mx518 mouse with XOrg 7_3.2.
>=20
> Would wiring down the mouse in device.hints have any effect?
> Is this a lower level issue?
> Can anyone comment??

Actually, I'm pretty sure that you aren't running hald... So, here is my
theory on what is happening...

moused:
With usb mice, moused is started via the moused_non_default bits in
rc.conf... X starts up, finds the mouse on /dev/sysmouse and things are
good.  When the disconnect event occurs, moused exits and ums
disappears.  When this happens Xorg loses /dev/sysmouse and there is
nothing to tell it that the mouse has been plugged back in and that it
should try to open it again.  That is hald's job...

moused_non_default=3D"NO":
Pretty much the same story, /dev/ums0 vaporizes and nothing is there to
tell X when it has returned.

Particularly for your situation, I would not disable AutoAddDevices or
AllowEmptyInput.  At the very least, you need AutoAddDevices at its
default value and hald running.

robert.