Date:      Sat, 2 Jan 1999 10:46:03 +0100
From:      Gunnar Flygt <gunnar@pluto.sr.se>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Linux

On Sat, Jan 02, 1999 at 01:33:44AM -0800, Mike Meyer wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Jan 1999 bourgeoisie@mindspring.com wrote:
>
> > Can FreeBSD run Linux applications?  Are they universal for UNIX
> > operating systems?  Files extensions such as .tar, .gz, .z,
> > etc... can they be run on Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, etc. and still
> > look the same?
>
> .tar, .gz, .z are file formats. The applications to deal with them run
> on pretty much all Unix variants, including FreeBSD. They can also all
> be handled on obsolete systems like CP/M-80, Amiga's, and MS-Windows.
>
> As for applications - the answer is "it depends". You have to install
> the Linux compatability mode software on FreeBSD and try things and
> see.  The Linux distribution of WordPerfect 7 works without
> problems. WordPerfect 8 has a few quirks. Oracle (the database server)

Have you got the Oracle for Linux to run on FreeBSD? How? I've been told
that work is done, but haven't got any indications on it being ready.

> works fine. Ingres doesn't - because the install fails to find the
> Linux commands for manipulating shared memory. WABI doesn't work, but
> WINE and Bochs (spelling?) are available for FreeBSD.
>
> 	<mike

                           __o
regards, Gunnar       ---_ \<,_
email: flygt@sr.se ---- (_)/ (_)

If Bill Gates had a dime for every time a Windows box crashed...
.. Oh, wait a minute, he already does."