Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 1996 19:41:14 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        sos@freebsd.org
Cc:        pialkin@abel.pdmi.ras.ru, j_mini@efn.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New doscmd available for testing/munching

sos@freebsd.org stands accused of saying:

> > The problem is not with just screen mapping for drawing something(open
> > screen memory for drawing is simple just mmap some part of /dev/mem & viola ...)
> > My problem is that i am unabl to properly map some shadow screen for 0xA0000-0xB0000 address.... It's highly needable for programs working with screen background..
>
> Hmm, I'm not sure we can do that, try ask John Dyson about that, he
> is out "mastermind" in vm stuff...

My 'conceptual model' for this went something like :

- allocate 128K in the emulation process for screen memory.
- when vt is activated, copy the area that falls under the physical screen
  memory to a temporary store.
- mmap the screen memory onto your emulation's buffer.
- copy your temporary store back.
- when vt is deactivated, reverse the process.

... but I really don't know what happens when you mmap() screen memory
onto a section of your process' space that is already mapped.  Or would
you swap between a mapping to screen memory and a file?  Or could you
map to _both_ screen memory and a file...?