Date:      Thu, 05 Jan 2006 11:29:38 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-2?Q?L=E1szl=F3_Nagy?= <nagylzs@freemail.hu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pkg_add question

  Hello All,

I tried to install the Xorg server and xfce4 from the binary
distribution, using

pkg_add -r

I could setup the Xorg server, but I cannot use xfce. When I run

startxfce4

then I get the following message:

/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libobject-2.0.so.0" not found,
required by "xfce4-sesion".

I read somewhere that I need to update glib. But I cannot do this with
pkg_add.

pkg_add -r glib

tells me that glib (or an older version of it) is already installed. Now
I'm trying to upgrade glib with

portupgrade -r glib

and probably it will work. But it will take a long time to recompile
every package that I have in binary format. The big advantage of using
pkg_add is that I do not need to recompile everything from the ports
tree. I have a slow machine and limited disk space. But it looks like I
have no choice. Upgrading glib from the ports will cause many packages
to be downloaded and recompiled from source. I could not find any way to
update my packages in binary form. If there is a way, please help me
finding it.

Thanks,

   Les