Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 17:03:58 -0700
From:      Hal Lynch <hal@cc.usu.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   /etc/hosts vs nslookup

Suppose I ssh to host a.b.c.d.  How is the actual IP address found?

Does the software look first in my /etc/hosts file and only if a.b.c.d
is not there ask my nameserver?  Or does it just ask the nameserver
no matter what?

The latter seems to be the case.  If so is there anything I can do
about it?

I remember my Ultrix days where there was an svcorder file that
defined a precedence for name resolution.

In a related matter if I ssh to 1.2.3.4 the software seems to
query the nameserver anyway.  Is this the way it is supposed to be?

Why I am asking these questions is that when the nameserver
is down is the exact time I desperately need to ssh and scp to it.

Looking for clues I believe ssh 1.2.3.4 didn't query the nameserver
until I locked into Protocol 2.

BTW I am running 4.4 and the ssh that is in on the cdrom.

hal