Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 20:06:27 +0100
From:      John Murphy <bigotfo@bigfoot.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ftp install takes forever

Hi, hope you can help.

I'm trying to install (Minimal) FreeBSD 4.1 from ftp.uk.freebsd.org
through a Firewall via an ISP that drops the connection after 3 hours.

Ben Smithurst suggested it should be possible in < 3 hours, but the
connection has already dropped once and restarted again. At present
the screen says "Logging in to ftp@ftp.uk.freebsd.org..". The modem
light on the server is flickering nicely, as are the network card
lights. But there doesn't seem to be any HD activity on the target
machine. The last few lines on the other term (Alt f2) say:

/mnt/stand/etc/services
3551 blocks
/mnt/etc
/mnt/etc/defaults
/mnt/etc/defaults/rc.conf
/mnt/etc/protocols
/mnt/etc/services
44 blocks
DEBUG: Generating /etc/fstab file

The install should be going to ad1s1

Should I let it carry on? Can I check somehow what's going on?
(doing Alt f4 df tells me df not found not surprisingly)

How long _should_ it take at 5Kbytes/sec?

I've just checked ppp.log on the server. For the first 3 hour session
6217762 octets in, 5168441 octets out. How many octets for a minimal
install; anyone?

Thanks again John.