Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 11:38:38 -0900
From:      Russ Pagenkopf <russ.pagenkopf@uas.alaska.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ld-elf problem

Hi all!

Hope someone can help me figure out this problem as I've done as much as
I know how, researched as much as possible and trod uncharted lands (for
me at least!).

I'm attempting to install a mail program called CommuniGatePro from
Stalker Software. The program comes as a pre-compiled program. When I
first tried to run it after installation it gave me the following error:

/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: ./CGServer: Undefined symbol
"pthread_attr_setscope"

Okay. "What the hell does that mean" I ask myself. After a call to tech
support he briefly explained that it was for threading in the kernel and
he suggested upgrading to the latest stable (from 3.1). Soooo... I
learned how to use CTM (with some help from the list archives). Then I
learned how to make world (with help from the handbook). Then I
recompiled the kernel (been there, done that). Then I rebooted. Other
than forgetting to rebuild the passwd db, it all worked (and from 1500
miles away too).

Onward to installing CommuniGatePro. Installation goes fine, attempt to
run it and guess what? The same error:

/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: ./CGServer: Undefined symbol
"pthread_attr_setscope"

Argh. :-)

Now I turn to the list. What did I miss? What am I doing wrong?

uname -a
FreeBSD archives.mac-mgrs.org 3.4-STABLE FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE #0: Fri Jan
28 04:57:14 PST 2000
russ@archives.mac-mgrs.org:/usr/src/3.0-stable/sys/compile/ARCHIVES
i386

CTM patches through 449 (latest as of this morning).

Russ Pagenkopf