Date:      10 Jan 2003 11:51:31 +1000
From:      Duncan Anker <d.anker@au.darkbluesea.com>
To:        Bsd Neophyte <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mail problems

On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 11:45, Bsd Neophyte wrote:
> i've setup my webramp700s to send logs to my freebsd machine daily.
>
> however, it says that it cannot send the mail.
>
> i really don't know much about sendmail, but these two processes are
> running:
>
> root      85  0.0  0.3  2884 1592  ??  Ss   22Oct02   9:05.25 sendmail:
> accepting connections (sendmail)
> smmsp     88  0.0  0.3  2788 1484  ??  Is   22Oct02   0:13.08 sendmail:
> Queue runner@00:30:00 for /var/spool/clientmqueue (sendmail)
>

> i'm assuming this will allow for the receipt of email.  is there more that
> needs to be done?

Starting with FreeBSD 4.6 (I think) Sendmail must be running to accept
mail from the localhost. That is likely what your first sendmail process
is doing there. It may not be listening on the external interface.

You can check this by telnetting to port 25 and see if you can connect.

Edit your /etc/rc.conf file and make sure you have

sendmail_enable="YES"

in it somewhere.

Then:

# sh /etc/rc.sendmail stop && sh /etc/rc.sendmail start

to make sure it's going properly. Doublecheck by telnetting again.

--

The information contained in this email is confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient, you may not disclose or use the