Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 2003 10:40:41 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Jeff Shevlen <jeff@passedpawn.com>
Cc:        Matthew Smith <matt@forsetti.com>
Subject:   Re: How to write to console

In the last episode (Apr 04), Jeff Shevlen said:
> I hate to add a variation on a thread before it's been solved, but is
> it possible to "jump into" a console from an outside process?  Lets
> say you have a remote machine and you want to check in on a process
> underway in ttyv0?  Can you do it?  (Not urgent, but a coworker and I
> were trying to figure this one out yesterday and this thread is too
> similar not to ask...)

If you have the snp device in the kernel, you can use the 'watch'
command to attach to any TTY and get a copy of all output sent to it.
You won't be able to read what's already on the screen, though, since
ttys themselves don't have a history.

One exception is vtys ( /dev/ttyv* ).  Syscons consoles do have a
history, and you can use the vidcontrol command to display that (see
the -P and -H switches).

The best solution is to use ports/misc/screen and run your jobs in a
screen session that you then attach to remotely later.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com