Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 1995 13:10:00 -0700 (MST)
From:      Stephen Mathezer <mathezer@newera.ab.ca>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help: 2.0.5 died.  (Sig 11 on login)

I have a 2.0.5 machine that has been running for quite awhile with no
problems.  It crashed the other day (I don't know how, somebody else did
it and can't tell me anything about what messages they saw) and now
whenever it comes up, login will die with a sig 11 and sometimes cron will
as well while I am trying to log in.

I can boot single user no problem but I don't really know what to do at
that point.  I did try a different kernel on the off chance it got hosed
but that didn't change anything.

There is nothing terribly special about the machine.  486 33, 3c509, one
IDE controller with one hd.

Any hints as to how I might salvage this thing without re-installing?

-Steve