Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 11:44:31 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Files with nonexistent groups

Was just browsing the file system of a server that had been upgraded
from 2.1.1-RELEASE to 2.2.2-RELEASE, in preparation for upgrading
it AGAIN to 2.2.6. As I did so, I noticed that some of the device
nodes in /dev belonged to group #86, which didn't have a name or exist
in /etc/groups. I also noticed that some files created by the
Qualcomm POP daemon belonged to group #6, which also had no
name.

What are these groups? Do they have standard names? And why do
the files and device nodes belong to them?

--Brett