Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 2003 22:11:45 -0400
From:      Timothy Luoma <freebsd@tntluoma.com>
To:        Stuart Barkley <stuartb@4gh.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell i7500 or Toshiba 1005-S157?

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 21:40:31 -0400 (EDT), Stuart Barkley <stuartb@4gh.net>
wrote:

> I have a Toshiba 1005-S157 and am running FreeBSD 4.7 (currently, soon
> to upgrade to 4.8/4.9).  After over a year using it, I'm still don't
> like it and wish I had purchased some other brand (but I'm not sure
> what).  I really liked the Dell Latitude I had at my previous job and
> it ran FreeBSD quite well.
>
> I have a web page describing my Toshiba setup.  There are some things
> you will need to deal with:
>
>     http://www.4gh.net/hints/toshiba/satellite1005-s157.html
>
>> But then I'm thinking that I can devote the entire Toshiba to
>> FreeBSD, and it has the faster processor.  I assume I'll be running
>> WINE for a few Windows apps, and when I need to update/compile
>> faster = better, right?
>
> You might play around on with FreeBSD on the Toshiba first leaving
> your current Dell untouched.  Once you have a little more experience
> you can try FreeBSD on the Dell.

Thanks... I think that is exactly what I will do.  Tomorrow afternoon I'm
going to CD-R my wife's files and try getting FreeBSD working on it.

The one real hitch may be the modem.  I only have dialup at home, so I'd
need to get the modem working to be useful at home.  I have Ethernet to
shared DSL at the office, so I'll probably use that for getting it setup.

TjL