Date:      Thu, 3 Jun 2004 15:16:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      zera holladay <zera_holladay@yahoo.com>
To:        aussie gal <freebsder51@yahoo.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network config on FreeBSD 5.1 - Help!

How do your Windows XP computers get their ip
addresses: are they statically assigned ip addresses
or do you have a DHCP server?

If you have not configured your Windows XP computers
with static ip addresses or you don't know what a
static ip address is, then your hub is probably taking
care of DHCP for you.  The best way to determine how
ip addresses are assigned is to check your Windows
computers since they seem to be working fine.  I won't
explain how to check this on Windows (if you e-mail me
independent of this mailing list, I will help you
out).

rc.conf file is a sequence of instructions and
variables.  rc.conf is executed as FreeBSD boots, so
try commenting out everything you don't need except
for ifconfig_vr0="DHCP" and rebooting.  If you don't
know what the problem is, then eliminate variables
unit you isolate the problem.

-zh

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/config-network-setup.html

> > -zh
> >
> > --- aussie gal wrote:
> > > Hi - I'm trying to configure my network card on
> > > newly installed freebsd 5.1.
> > > BUT - I can get the system to come on line. It
> > > recoginizes the hardware as being UP ...
> > >
> > > I've been hitting several TCP/IP how-tos on the
> > web
> > > and doing lots of reading and tweaking to no
> > avail.
> > >
> > > Please advise. Does anyone have experience with
> > > 5.1?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > fb51

=== message truncated ===