Date:      Sat, 13 Apr 2002 15:50:27 +0200
From:      Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tadayuki OKADA <tadayuki@attbi.com>, Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
Cc:        tadayuki.okada@windriver.com, sobomax@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: make clean install clean

--------------Boundary-00=_3GEI22JQ3DCQO19ILW3Q

Tadayuki-SAN,

> Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net> wrote:
> > I do not think 'broken' is the proper word to use; it's just the way
> > make(1) works.  When you pass it a 'clean install clean' list of targets,
> > it first 'makes' the 'clean' target, then the 'install' target, then..
> > then it considers 'making' the 'clean' target, and finds out that it has
> > already been 'made'; it ought to be up-to-date.
> >
> > The way I do it is 'make clean all install && make clean'.
>
> But it worked before sobomax's bsd.port.mk speed-up change.

Are you sure? I don't think so. Try this simple Makefile:

a:
        @echo a
b:
        @echo b

And then execute 'make a b a'. The output is, as I expected:

	ernst@heinz$ make a b a
	ernst@heinz$

This is default make(1) behaviour. It should not be necessary to document it.

Sincerely,

Ernst
--------------Boundary-00=_3GEI22JQ3DCQO19ILW3Q

YToKCUBlY2hvIGEKYjoKCUBlY2hvIGIK