Date:      Tue, 21 May 1996 08:19:16 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu (John Fieber)
Cc:        p.richards@elsevier.co.uk, andreas@knobel.gun.de, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /stand/ee

(Moved to -chat)

As John Fieber wrote:

I fully agree with John's points stated (``the one true editor''
vs. a useful editor for small maintenance tasks).

> I'm not one to bring change for the sake of change, and at this
> point I wouldn't dream of proposing to remove vi from the core
> distribution.  However, it is equally shortsighted to keep
> tradition for sake of tradition.  Vi has stubbornly ignored all
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> that the last 15 or so years of human computer interaction
> research has discovered, and the population of users who have no
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> desire to invest the time to learn a cranky old editor is only
> going to rise.

It even did this by time of its own creation. :)

Quoting Peter H. Salus' ``A Quarter Century of Unix'', pp. 139 ff.,
typos are mine:

<quote>

[...] They took an editor call *em* that had been developed by
Coulouris at Queen Mary College, London, and developed the
line-at-a-time editor ex.  Coulouris had been the first recipient of
Unix (Version 4) in the UK, in late 1973.  He told me:

  I developed *em* at QMC in the autumn of 1975, to enable us to
  exploit more effectively some vdu terminals that we had recently
  acquired. [...]

  Seeing *em* was probably what alerted Bill Joy and the BSD people to
  the possibility of a screen editor for Unix.  If I hadn't developed
  *em* and visited Berkeley with it, early versions of BSD Unix
  probably wouldn't have contained a screen editor.  This can be
  chalked up as a small example of a reverse flow of ideas across the
  Atlantic in the Unix story.

<my emphasis -- joerg>

  Unfortunately, *vi* didn't pick up some of the human interface
  principles that were embedded in *em*.  At QMC we had already
  concluded that modal interaction was a bad idea, and I had gone to
  some lengths to ensure that the interaction in *em* didn't involve
  more than one meaning for any key.  This principle was badly
  violated in *vi* with its insert and edit modes.

</my emphasis>

</quote>

--
cheers, J"org