Date:      Wed, 25 Mar 1998 06:55:44 PST
From:      "pratap singh" <v_pr@hotmail.com>
To:        v_pr@hotmail.com, dg@root.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ARP REQUEST question

Hi all,
I perfectly know about the CRC carried in the ethernet frames. But if
that is the case the higher layer protocols still do the checksum like
IP.
the reasons that I feel for not having the checksum in the ARP frame
are:
1> IP packets get routed and can be seen to ascend and descend protocol
stacks till they reach their destination. So even if the layer 2
(ethernet) checksum is right, they may get corrupted during the ascend
and descend. And if the checksum is not provided by the
IP itself, this error could go unnoticed.
2> However same is not the case with ARP which in the protocol stack sat
with the hardware independent part of the Ethernet driver or any other
layer 2 driver (historically) and so the traversal of the protocol stack
was not necessary. And the local significance made the CRC just enough
for detecting errors.
But what in case of network stacks of today where the ARP is seen
sitting together with IP or at the same level of IP.
Someone Please correct me If I am wrong
prats