Date:      16 Mar 1999 22:32:18 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
Cc:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel PIII "Anti Piracy Feature"?

Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com> writes:
> I find this hilarious. These "experts" jumping up and down about it
> like it is new technology. They obviously don't know that proprietry
> Unix boxes have had this for years. On any Sun, type ``hostid'' at the
> prompt and it'll return a 32-bit hex number.

The host ID on Sun workstations and servers is not a CPU serial
number, it's a workstation serial number which is stored in NVRAM, and
can be changed. A company I worked at did that to avoid the hassle of
transferring their licenses every time they replaced the machines
(which was quite often, due to the nature of their activities).

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no