Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 21:20:17 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Andrew Reid <andrew.reid@plug.cx>
Cc:        j balan <jbalan@proscouting.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network Startup

In the last episode (Oct 16), Andrew Reid said:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 04:22:21PM -0500, Dan Nelson wrote:
> > In the last episode (Oct 15), j balan said:
> > > Does anyone know the command to reload rc.conf
> >
> > 'reboot' is the only sure way.
>
> That's a bit of a problem as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps the network
> scripts should be redesigned in a similar manner to the one taken on be
> RedHat.

Of course, you can always run the equivalent commands yourself to get
the system in synch with what you put in rc.conf.  i.e. if you added an
alias ip to an interface, you can run

ifconfig xxx inet 1.2.3.4 alias

> I started playing around with such a thing, using usr/local/etc/rc.d/
> as a base for 'network' scripts which take arguments such as 'start',
> 'stop' and 'restart'.
>
> Implementation of such a thing would be fairly trivial methinks. What
> are the thoughts on this sort of approach to management of network
> interfaces and ancillary services?

Is it smart enough to only add the alias interface on "restart", or
does it try to deconfigure the whole NIC, and add all the IPs back?
How about if you change an IP number?  Is it smart enough to kill and
restart named, inetd, smbd, or any other programs that might have bound
to that IP?  It's not as simple as "I'll just rerun the ifconfig
commands", and I stand by "reboot is the only sure way" :)

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com