Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 19:07:20 -0500
From:      Derrick Norris <derrick@norris-net.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   syslogd stops logging after 3 days uptime

Hi folks:

Since upgrading to 4.5-RELEASE with buildworld/buildkernel etc., I
have noticed that syslogd stops writing log messages after about 3
days of system uptime.  I first noticed this about a week ago because
I went to look at my maillog and it was empty.  I rebooted the system
and sendmail started logging again.

I last rebooted system on Feb. 8 09:17, and the last normal entry I
can find in any of my logs (all, cron, auth, daemon, mail, kern,
messages -- I log a bunch of stuff) was on Feb. 11 10:59.  After
that, all that was in any of the log files was the "newsyslog:
logfile turned over" messages each midnight.

I have just rebooted system again and will see how long it keeps
logging this time.  I didn't check if syslogd was actually running
before rebooting, but if it stops logging again I will check to see
if syslogd itself has quit.

Another strange thing I noticed, in my syslog.log, for the few nights
before it stopped logging everything, I got five "syslogd: restart"
messages 10 seconds apart, starting at midnight (like at 00:00:00,
00:00:09, 00:00:19, etc.).  Is this normal?

Don't recall this happening while I was running 4.4.  I looked
through my -bugs and -questions mail folders for anyone having a
similar problem, but didn't see anything so I am posting this.

Thanks for any insight,
Derrick