Date:      Sat, 05 Aug 2000 00:53:05 +0300
From:      Plamen Petkov <plamendp@bgstore.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   back up with dump|restore

Hi,

I would be glad to hear from you, FreeBSD experts, as how do you think
about this back-up .. hmm... policy... well, method:

1. I have 2 HDs - the first one is working and the second is dedicated
for backups.

2. Every week (after the first, initial, ZERO level dump) I do

mount /mnt
cd /mnt
dump -1u -f - /usr  | restore -ru -f -

thus 'backing up' my /usr fs to my second HD (/mnt)

3. Every day I do:

mount /mnt
cd /mnt
dump -<n>u -f - /usr | restore -ru -f -

where <n> is the dump level (according to dump(8) Hanoi-sequence)

Well, am I right, concidering this will keep my second HD a good backup
of my first one? I mean, is it enough, is it safe, is it normal or ..
weird ??

Regards,
--
Plamen D. Petkov ICQ#2214327