Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 2004 08:22:07 -0500
From:      "fbsd_user" <fbsd_user@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "michael Alexander" <linux@milwaukeevalve.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd@jyroscop.cotse.net
Subject:   RE: how to tell if my ISP is blocking email & web ports

Thanks to all of you that responded.

I did not want to install Apache just to have something listening
on port 80. So I edited /etc/services and commented out the
http 80 statements and the telnet 23 statements and them copied
the telnet tcp statement and changes it's port to 80.
Enabled inetd in rc.conf.

I used one of my LAN PC's to telnet into to port 80 and it worked.
I then called my friend with winme box who uses different ISP.
He logged on and used native dos to try to telnet into my
port 25 and 80. In both cases he was not able to connect to my
IP address.
This proves that Adelphia cable service is blocking those 2 ports.