Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 16:43:34 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@freebsddiary.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mysql root password

I'm trying to reset the root password for mysql.  All the resources I've
found have said to restart mysql with the -Sg command and then reset
the root password.  All attempts to reset the password have failed:

mysql> grant ALL PRIVILEGES on * to root identified by 'password';
ERROR 1047: Unknown command

mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR root = PASSWORD('password');
ERROR 1132: You must have privileges to update tables in the mysql
database to be able to change passwords for others

# mysqladmin -u root password newpassword
mysqladmin: unable to change password; error: 'You must have
privileges to update tables in the mysql database to be able to change
passwords for others'

I've tried both of the following starts for mysqld:

/usr/local/bin/safe_mysqld --skip-grant-tables
/usr/local/libexec/mysqld --skip-grant-tables

I'm stuck.  TIA.
--
Dan Langille - DVL Software Limited [I'm looking for more work]
http://www.dvl-software.com/ |  http://www.unixathome.org/