Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 08:39:15 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        David Thiel <dthiel@nexprise.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: root login over rsh?

On 09-Aug-00 David Thiel wrote:
> This will sound like an exceedingly silly question, but how can I allow
> root logins over rsh?  I want to just do a minimal install and then use
> rdist from another machine to put the rest of the stuff there, but sshd
> doesn't appear to work with just a minimal install(i.e., there's no
> binaries for it).

Apart from leaving aside the security implications, you will have to edit
/root/.rhosts in the system you are trying to rsh into:

from-machine root

This will allow you to connect from the machine 'from-machine' as root.

I belive you also can use * (or was it * *?) to allow anything (it would be
faster to type:)
/Micke

Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se