Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 1999 18:35:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      "K. Marsh" <durang@u.washington.edu>
To:        "Dr. MacEnstein" <bangpath@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The difference between two things (Was: statically/dynamically based software)

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Dr. MacEnstein wrote:

> I notice you left out the OS/2 option  :-)

Yes, for three reasons.  First, if I used OS/2 as one of the two things to
compare, then I'd have a lot of explaining to do.  Comparing apples and
pears is much easier than comparing apples and volkswagens.

Secondly, people often seem to want to know the difference between Linux
and FreeBSD, but not between a Freenix and OS/2.  By choosing Linux and
FreeBSD, I was improving my chances of giving the information that was
requested.

Third - I don't really know much of anything about OS/2, so I'm not likely
to help by writing about it.

Speaking of OS/2, however, I've not heard much about it lately.  Is it
growing, stable, or losing ground in terms of its user base?  What's its
strongest point short of having only Windows to compete with?

Ken