Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2018 22:11:36 -0700
From:      Ryan Moeller <ryan@ixsystems.com>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   11-stable TCP reassembly queue

There are some reports of network dropouts associated with the max TCP =
reassembly queue length:

=
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/11-1u6-update-transfer-aborts=
-on-smb-share-mac-client.69553/ =
<https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/11-1u6-update-transfer-abort=
s-on-smb-share-mac-client.69553/>
=
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/network-issues-after-upgradin=
g-to-11-1-u6.69506/ =
<https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/network-issues-after-upgradi=
ng-to-11-1-u6.69506/>

I am aware that a sysctl can be adjusted to increase the maximum queue =
length if needed. However, I am curious if the default might be a bit =
low. Can anyone offer some advice on how to determine a rational limit =
to set?

To offer an additional data point: on my own desktop system =
(11.2-RELEASE-p2) there are currently 3191 discarded segments. I'm not =
sure if this is an unusually high number, and I honestly wouldn't have =
realized it was happening if I hadn=E2=80=99t been looking at my own =
stats out of curiosity. The most significant network activity for this =
machine is fetching code from GitHub or downloading package updates. I =
occasionally scp files to/from a macOS laptop over wifi.

It seems a bit odd that my moderate traffic would be exceeding the =
default threshold at all. Is this to be expected?

I saw the TCP reassembly improvements in =
https://reviews.freebsd.org/D16471 <https://reviews.freebsd.org/D16471>; =
and wonder if this is perhaps related.

Finally, I see that a rewrite of the TCP reassembly code addressing the =
inefficiency underlying the original security concern has been committed =
to 12-CURRENT, and this is great for FreeBSD 12+, but it seems like it =
probably won=E2=80=99t be merged into the stable branches. Can anyone =
confirm that is the case?

Thanks,
Ryan Moeller=