Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 12:02:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG (Bill Paul)
To:        luce@aaronsen.com (Doug Luce)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: National Semiconductor 82c168/82c169 driver

> I haven't been able to find a driver for this ethernet card,

That's because it doesn't exist. There is no such thing as a "National
Semiconductor 82c168/82c169." There is such a thing as a National
Semiconductor DP83815 (MacPHYter), and there's also such a thing as
a Lite-On 82c168/82c169 (PNIC). You appear to have gotten the two confused.

Also, this is a chip, not a card. What you really meant to say was: "I
just bought this new Netgear FA311-TX (or FA312-TX) card and it has
a National Semiconductor chip on it. This has me all confused because
the last Netgear card I bought (an FA310-TX) had a PNIC chip on it."

If you have FreeBSD 4.1.1 or later, then the NatSemi chip will work
with the "sis" driver. (It has a similar programming interface to
the SiS 900 so I decided to just modify the sis driver to support it
rather than writing a whole new one.) I've tested a Netgear FA312-TX
in the office and from what I can tell it works fine. The PNIC chip
works with the dc driver.

> so I'm
> working on porting the Linux driver over.  It seems to have "natsemi"
> coded in as the default device mnenomic.

You mean: "The source file appears to be called netsemi.c." Linux network
interfaces are all called ethX.

> Is it a good idea to pull this
> name directly over to FreeBSD?  So my Ethernet interface would be natsemi0
> instead of fxp0 (for an Intel card)...

No, it's a good idea to try a newer FreeBSD release, or grab if_sis.c
and if_sisreg.h from a newer release and put it on your older system.

It's also a good idea to tell us what version of FreeBSD you're using
so we don't have to guess.

-Bill