Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 2004 22:57:31 +0100
From:      Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        wpaul@freebsd.org
Subject:   nVidia chipset - ethernet support?

I have installed FreeBSD-5.2.1 on my brand new Soltek EQ3702A machine, which
has an nVidia chipset. I have got most of the on-board hardware to work:
  kldload snd_ich  -- pcm
  kldload firewire \ to mount my ipod
  kldload sbp      /

but I don't seem to be able to get ethernet to work. A google shows that
this is a long-standing issue:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2003-August/016739.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2003-July/001016.html

but I don't see anything else posted since August last year.

I did come across this driver against FreeBSD-5.1:
http://www.onthenet.com.au/~q/nvnet/   [1]

Anyone have any experience with it? It claims to be in the official ports
tree under net/nvnet, but I don't find it there (not in the 5.2.1-RELEASE
ports tree anyway). Well actually, I did find something here:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/pds.cgi?ports/net/nvnet   [2]

Unfortunately the driver page [1] doesn't link to the Linux driver it
requires, and the port at [2] links to a different version of nvnet than the
one at [1].

If anyone has this working with FreeBSD-5.2.1 (and either an up-to-date
port, or a pointer to the correct Linux module required), that would save me
some random hacking.

Incidentally, my machine has two VGA ports. If anyone knows how to get both
of those working together with XFree86, that would be appreciated too!

Cheers,

Brian.