Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2007 05:11:09 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Peter Ulrich Kruppa <ulrich@pukruppa.net>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: amd64 newbie question [32 bit compatibility]

--TYecfFk8j8mZq+dy

On 2007-Mar-25 06:09:43 +0200, Peter Ulrich Kruppa <ulrich@pukruppa.net> wr=
ote:
>Is there any kind of documentation about this "32 bit=20
>compatibility layer"? Do I have one? Does it work and if yes,=20
>how?

When in 64-bit mode, amd64 family chips can execute 32-bit code in much
the same way as the x86 chips can execure 16-bit code via VM86.  This
is referred to as "Compatibility Mode" in the AMD documentation.  There
is AMD documentation on this but I can't quickly find the details.

FreeBSD supports 32-bit compatibility mode by default:  When the ELF
loader is handed a 32-bit executable, it starts a compatibility mode
process and uses 32-bit shared libraries (/usr/lib32, /usr/local/lib32,
/usr/X11R6/lib32).

There are still some rough edges - in particular, 32-bit threaded
programs don't work.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--TYecfFk8j8mZq+dy