Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2007 12:20:24 +0000
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        "Joel D. Parker" <rootrider@shellfront.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: highpoint hpt372 raid support, or other options?

Joel D. Parker wrote:

>I keep running into roadblocks...
>
>I'm running fbsd 6.1 release, i386
>[...]
>-highpoint's own management software..
>After trying atacontrol I figured I'd give highpoint's driver's a try. They
>say they support freebsd 6.1 so this shouldn't be an issue right? Well I
>install their driver, which appears to work fine (the first disk is now
>da0s1), but then their raid management software won't install. It keeps
>looking for old version of libraries (which I was apparently able to get
>around by linking to the current libraries) and now it's giving me the
>following error:
>/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/lib/libncurses.so.5: Undefined symbol
>"__stdoutp"
>
>Obviously this is a problem with highpoint's own freebsd support, but is
>there any way to get around this with FreeBSD 6.x? Has anyone here had any
>luck with rebuilding an array using an hpt372 card in freebsd?

I can tell you right off that linking libraries to older versions is
just a plain bad idea.

I have no Highpoint card but I'll bet that you want
/usr/ports/misc/compat5x port installed to find the real versions of the
libraries that you faked up with your links.   libncurses.so.5 is
clearly listed in the packing list for that port.

And don't forget to read the pkg-message which tells you about the
kernel option you need to do this.

hth,

--Alex