Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 1999 19:18:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      mike@hyperreal.org
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu (Doug White)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot manager acting strangely

Doug White wrote:
> > Drive 0
> >   slice 1 = 128 MB FAT partition w/MS-DOS 6.22
> >   slice 2 = 1.6 GB FreeBSD (system)
> >
> > Drive 1
> >   slice 1 = 1.7 GB FreeBSD (not mounted yet)
>
> Try running fdisk /mbr against this drive to clear the MBRs.

How do you run fdisk /mbr on a different drive?

> Also check your active partition bit.

Drive 0 Slice 2 is active.
Drive 1 Slice 1 is active.

DOS's fdisk doesn't let you unset an active partition, and won't let you
set one on Drive 1.

FreeBSD fdisk will only let you set a partition # 1,2,3 or 4 active.
There's only one partition on the drive, it's already active, and I can't
figure out how to unset it.

Result of running DOS's fdisk /mbr: no more OS chooser menu; boots
straight to FreeBSD partition (wd0s2)

/stand/sysinstall's implementation of fdisk and the boot loader installer
is downright fucked for post-install configurations, and the help screens
are no help. No matter how I go about it, it always keeps throwing me back
into the fdisk screen. If someone is in charge of this part of
/sysinstall, contact me (ICQ 31695219 if I'm on) and we'll walk through
all the problems together; they're too much to try to list here.

Anyway, I am able to get the OS chooser portion of the boot loader
installed again via a certain method, but I am right back where I started:

  F1 DOS       = beep
  F2 FreeBSD   = beep
  F5 Drive 0   = next menu

  F1 DOS       = boot to DOS (wd0s1)
  F2 FreeBSD   = boot to FreeBSD (wd0s2)
  F5 Drive 1   = mysterious prompt ".....Boot 2>." and hang

Bloody hell.