Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 2006 14:05:48 -0400
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        John Hoover <johnfhoover@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Wine installation/configuration question

On Friday 07 April 2006 12:12, John Hoover wrote:
> I've having trouble with Wine. I'm getting the same error regardless
> if I compile from the ports tree, install a package, or compile from
> source.
>
> on FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE
>
> %wine program.exe
> fixme:msvcrt:_spawnve :not translating name /usr/local/lib/../bin/wine
> to locate program
>
> Then it just seems to sit there with Wine in a "piperd" state. I don't know
> what while would be waiting for and I've not had any luck with searching
> Google or WineHQ. Hopefully someone has seen this before or has an idea
> what it might be.
>
> Oh, the preinstalled apps, notepad.exe, sol.exe, produce the same result.

I started seeing the same thing after upgrading the port installed on my
system, but only sometimes.  I haven't determined what's different between
the times it works and the times it doesn't, but stubborn repetition (with
slight variations such as running from a "wineconsole wcmd" prompt) seems to
be a key ingredient.  Interestingly, a program I installed prior to upgrading
the port (irfanview) has always worked fine, although I've seen the problem
on most other programs I've tried to run.

I'm interested in tracking this down as well.

JN