Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2000 13:53:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        tim@iafrica.com.na
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KDE 2.0.1 refuses to compile.

On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, Tim Priebe wrote:

> I have a friend on the KDE core team, and I hear that FreeBSD is not as
> well supported at KDE any more, as their main FreeBSD developer has
> finished high school, and started working, so does not have much time

	Anyone else find that really funny? :)
I actually emailed the people at kde after I had a lot of trouble
installing kde2 beta 4, asking if KDE2 final would compile fine on
FreeBSD.  They replied that "there are quite a few FreeBSD fans among the
KDE developers so it should compile just fine on FreeBSD".  Well when it
came out it blew up with a lot of errors.  A week and a half and 5 or 6
patches later it compiled fine, but only by building it piece by piece.
	So once again that is my recommendation.  Make qt first with gif
support if you want.  Then try kdelibs then maybe kdebase, then network,
support, etc, whatever hasn't been built by kdebase (I don't remember
which it does off the top of my head).  For some reason builing piece by
piece works where trying the whole thing does not.
	But I also find it strange that I had no trouble building it once
the last patch for kdemultimedia was commited, while others are still
having trouble.  I dunno.  What I meant by crud, was little files hanging
around that may get used in the build process when they shouldn't.  For
those still having trouble, try running make clean in the kde2 directory
and trying again piece by piece.  Maybe try package delete on the KDE2
components you still have and use script to save that output.  Then go in
and delete carefully by hand what didn't get deleted.
	Good news is that KDE2.01 did fix a number of the issues KDE2 had.
That's all i've got,

						Tim

> for KDE. He told me that that this young man was interested in having
> some one pay him to work on KDE for FreeBSD. Mabey someone could contact
> him to findout how much he needs to give up his job. I have never
> communicated with him, but his email address is alex@kde.org.

	Uh, I don't consider KDE important enough to pay somebody's full
time salary, but maybe others do.