Date:      Sun, 20 May 2001 10:24:21 -0500
From:      markemmanuel <lists@markemmanuel.org>
To:        FreeBSD advocacy <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [dn-core] Re: Perens' "Free Software Leaders Stand Together"

Quoted from the Book of Ted Mittelstaedt Ch 6:7-13 on 5/19/01 12:54 AM:

> Yes, there's no shortage of BSD followers bashing GPL, and vis-versa.  Bu=
t,
> I guess I don't see the bashing being carried out by the BSD leadership,
> like
> McKusick for example.  Contrast this to Linus calling MacOS X "crap"

Linus called MacOS X crap because it is a micro kernel instead of a
monolithic kernel.  I don't recall Mr. Torvalds stating it's crap because
aspects of it was BSD based.

> And, as far as public statements, Bruce's "FREE SOFTWARE LEADERS STAND
> TOGETHER"
> document stands for itself as an example of the proof of my statement tha=
> they (meaning GPL) are rapidly becoming more united.

Yeah, they're becoming more united but I stopped using Linux temporarily
because their community support and the community in general started acting
like elitists towards new users like me.  I often see that in any
organization.  I also don't like that viral feeling I get from them.  It
seems like a Microsoft mentality except it's an open source initiative.
That bothers me also.

They also claim they have this Cathedral and Bazaar thing going on where
developers in the bazaar improves builds and improves the code.  Often
times, it feels like Linus is the Pope of Linux and he has the ultimate say
so as to what goes into the kernel.  The BSDs seems to be more like a
republic.  This is an entirely different topic.

To quote R. Kelly... "'Who gives a f#=A2k about what they think,' is what my
Audrey used to say. 'You just keep doing own thing boy and see your praises
come your way'"  We'll see what happens in the near future with the Linux
trying to not fragment because of all those distributions creating new
'standards'  It is certainly annoying to work with RedHat and then use
Debian for find that things are placed in different directories.  I also
don't like the fact that some software is packaged in rpms instead of debs.
Again, these are only my opinions.

Markemmanuel