Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2000 23:07:00 +0900
From:      "R. Imura" <imura@af.airnet.ne.jp>
To:        cjh@wdb.co.kr
Cc:        ports@kr.FreeBSD.ORG, hangul-patch@kr.FreeBSD.ORG, ports@freebsd.org, se@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Qt-i18n

# CC'd ports@freebsd.org
# It might relate to all porters in the future.

>     RI> Hi!
>     >      - And, qt-i18n is further developed in some of Linux developers(not
>     >        me :) in Korea. They calls it 'qt-fontguess'. Its good point is
>     >        completely compatible with original qt in binary level so it
>     >        doesn't require compiling KDE again. I heard that they are
>     >        forwarding this info to Junji Takagi.. but please look at again
>     >        and forwarding this info to JKUG developers. I think it is worth
>     >        to see and we can find a way to merge two qt-i18n...
>     >
>     >          http://linux.mizi.co.kr/kde/doc/qti18n/qti18n.html (english)
>     >
>     >  Wow!
>     >  I wonder why they don't merge into one patch.
>     >  I told it to JKUG, but Takagi responded still nothing...
>     >  It is only regretable that 'qt-fontguess' is based on a little older
>     >  patch. The newer fixes several serious bugs.
>
>     RI> Takagi created new patch and got a compatibility with normal qt.
>     RI> I'm not sure that he merged from above patch, I imported to the ports
>     RI> tree, anyway.
>
>     RI>   http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/x11-toolkits/qt-i18n/Makefile
>
>     RI> I also prepared a port which make you easily be able to use
>     RI> non-i18n packages under i18n kde. :)
>
>     RI>   http://www.kde.gr.jp/~imura/qt-i18n/fakekdei18n.tar.gz
>
>     RI> # Anybody can think of good name for above port?
>     RI> # Fakekdei18n is not my favorite. :)
>
> Good job!
>
> Then, can we merge qt/kde-i18n and qt/kde? Is there still any reason
> to maintain separately? I've used qt/kde with qt-i18n(Korean version)
> with libxpg4 preloaded but I couldn't find no inconvenience. Japanese
> need more patches to kde apps? If so, why the package is named
> kde-i18n? :)

Good point. :)

- Why still separeted?
In -stable, -i18n and non-i18n uses deferent compiler, so we should prepare
separeted two. From the beginning of qt-i18n, i18n patch had lost
compatibility so I didn't think a kind of this issue at all. :)
Indeed, there IS a movement that let all qt/kde use a new compiler, so if
it ends, we can talk about it.

- What are the patches for kde*-i18n?
Yes, they include a part for japanese, but it is only a part of
handling multi-byte characters.
kfm will not make new line because we don't separete words by white space.
kwrite never handles multi-byte characters.
kmail have no information for charset.
A patch for kedit, ksirc, kdehelp is only for Japanese, but why not
apply them as one part of i18n'd KDE, because KDE can change behavior
toward his language? :)

I think preloading libxpg4 is inconvenient. It avoids playing linux
binaries.

And to all kders:
 I want to know any problem about kde-i18n.
 I'm glad if you test qt-i18n using above fakekdei18n port in -current
 with your language.

> p.s. hangul-patch developers, please look at new qt-i18n
> patch(Japanese version). We may need more work for Korean...

Thanks.

-- R. Imura
// my private mail address has changed.
// imura@cs.titech.ac.jp ====> imura@af.airnet.ne.jp /(-.-)y-~~