Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 1998 10:52:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Dan Swartzendruber <dswartz@druber.com>, "Stephen J. Roznowski" <sjr@home.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: 3.0 installation problems

<<On Sat, 24 Oct 1998 13:40:20 -0700, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> said:

> If the machine is "stripped down", then you sure don't want Emacs on it.
> Try one of the lighter clones, and save yourself the worry.

Nonsense.  If you want Emacs, you want Emacs, not some poor imitation.
This has nothing to do with whether the machine is ``stripped down''
or not.

The answer to the original question is that the package is built with
X support because that's what most people want.  If you build your own
Emacs from the port, it will automatically take notice of whether you
have X installed or not and take appropriate measures.

-GAWollman