Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 1999 23:53:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Richard Johnson <raj@cisco.com>
To:        wwoods@cybcon.com
Cc:        Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Cellular modem on a Thinkpad

I'm wondering if the phone you're talking about is the Qualcomm
QCP-860 (or one of the other "slim" phones)?  I recently bought one of
these and found out about the data cable, etc.  I took my phone back
to my local GTE office and borrowed their data cable, plugging it into
my FreeBSD 3.1 system, and used "tip" to connect at 9600 baud.  Typing
"AT", I expected "OK", but saw nothing.  I didn't try other baud
rates, but I would have expected the phone to understand that speed.
I should have tried other baud rates.

Asking Qualcomm about it, I received a canned response which didn't
really directly address my questions, but it seemed to be hinting that
maybe I saw nothing because my phone hadn't been "enabled" for their
type of data communication.  Apparently this is a service which costs
somewhere around $4/month.  I'm guessing that if you haven't signed up
for the service, then the modem part doesn't work?  Or maybe there's
some special code which has to be sent to the phone to enable it?

/raj